28 October 2011

NaNoWriMo & 365

As some people know, at the beginning of this year I decided to undertake a 365 project (via http://365project.org/) where I would take a photograph a day for a year, some days have been harder than others but I'm almost at the finishing line, it has been a brilliant project and I've enjoyed it so much that I may just have to do it again next year! (Crazy? Yes!) But whilst juggling that ball which is always difficult, I've made an even bigger decision which is going to really put the pressure on! But *insert drumroll*

I am going to be attempting NaNoWriMo (via http://www.nanowrimo.org/) - National Novel Writing Month - where I (& many others) will attempt to create a 50,000+ word novel in 30 days during November. Sounds interesting, right? & with only a few days left of October, you would think I'd be ready & raring to go? Sadly not! A couple of weeks ago I had an idea and loved it so much I wanted to start there and then.  Except when I tried to put together a plan or plot what may happen to the characters in my idea - nothing happened. I couldn't decide where to begin - present day, past day, future day? I couldn't decide where it was going - happy, sad, exciting, good, bad? & I certainly couldn't decide an ending - happy, sad, eventful?

I wish I could say I'm getting closer to a solution or an idea that may actually be developed into a 50,000 word novel.  But no; so I have 4 days in which to come up with a proper idea (somehow the tiny idea in mind will not be suitable!), a plot, a plan of what will happen and a title. How to come up with any of these things? I wish I knew! I looked at idea generators in the hope they would suggest something but the only things it suggested was:
  •  Photo 14 - Look at the 14th photo you come across and write about how you were feeling at that time.
  • 10 Reasons To Share A Room With Your Best Friend - I struggled to get past number 6 before my brain got tired!
  • 10 Random Words - Taking inspiration from ten random words in the dictionary.
  • Write A Letter To Someone You Need To Spend More Time With - I don't think that could be turned into a 50,000 word novel!
  • Write a story with the first line "It was never going to be an ordinary day."
Now the last idea was my favourite, I absolutely loved the line so much that I would love to use it as my first line, but trying to think of an idea or storyline to fit in with it is not as easy as it may seem. I even bought a new notebook with "All Big Ideas Start Small" written across it, hoping it would be some kind of inspiration but sadly not.

The next 4 days are going to be filled of fun and dread whilst I attempt to find some inspiration before 1st November! Fingers crossed!

And if, during November, you find me somewhere with a camera in one hand and a notebook in the other, I will be attempting to balance both projects with daily life.

Listening To: Video Killed The Radiostar - The Buggles
Mood: No Inspiration =[

No comments:

Post a Comment